Foundation for Innovative New Diagnostic (FIND) is currently looking to recruit a Consultant who could support the implementation activities of the Malaria and Acute Febrile Syndrome (AFS) programme.
• Coordinate field activities for the implementation of RDTs in the private sector in Kenya, Tanzania, Madagascar according to project work plan developed with partners and in close communication with FIND Geneva, FIND Uganda, team working in Nigeria and Uganda, and other relevant partners.
• Provide technical assistance for quality assurance of RDT implementation at all levels, i.e. adequate RDT procurement practices, lot testing schemes, input on tools for adequate training and supervision, appropriate transport and storage of RDTs, monitoring and troubleshooting of RDT quality in the field.
• In collaboration with WHO, work on harmonization of these best practices in the public and the private sector, and provide guidance on regulation and policies needed for the use of quality assured RDTs in the private sector beyond the project lifetime.
• Travel to project countries as required (at least twice per year in each country) and attend all relevant project meetings (teleconferences and 1-2 physical meetings per year).
• Attend international meetings and conferences relevant to the FIND malaria team and to the subject of work (QA of malaria diagnostics, implementation of malaria RDTs, etc.), as required
• Represent FIND during field trips, meetings, and conferences and give presentations and present posters, as agreed with the supervisor and the head of the programme.
• Contribute to activities related to QA of malaria diagnostics and/or implementation of malaria RDTs if required for specific and project-independent requests, as time allows and as agreed with the supervisor and head of programme.
• Support data analysis, report and publication writing.
• Follow internal standard procedures on project management and communications at FIND.
• Participate in Project Management Meetings of the Malaria and AFS programme.
Qualifications / Experience required:
• PhD degree Epidemiology, Public Health, Health Policy or equivalent
• Sound knowledge in infectious diseases of the tropics and clinical laboratory medicine
• Minimum of 3-years professional experience working in developing countries in collaboration with African organizations and/or ministries of Health. Experience working in the field of malaria, diagnostics, and quality assurance is a plus.
• No specific geographical location is required but preferably in an African country. Availability to travel is a must.
• Able to produce high quality, accurate outputs under pressure and to deadlines
• Independent and motivated
• Team oriented and with experience working with various partners of different backgrounds (public sector, PDPs, NGOs, etc. from both developing and developed countries).
• Administrative skills
• Interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills
• English fluent. Knowledge of French and East-African languages is an asset
• Strong computer skills, attention to detail, problem-solving skills
Location: Geneva, Switzerland
Time frame: Starting September 2014
To apply: Interested candidates should submit a CV and a one-page cover letter explaining the skills, experiences, and characteristics that make them suitable for this position. CVs and cover letters should be submitted electronically by no later than 31 August 2014 to: rossana [dot] gambin [at] finddiagnostics [dot] org
The vacancy link is here