A vacancy has come available at the Ifakara Health Institute for the position of Deputy Chief Executive Director.
Ifakara Health Institute (IHI) is one of Africa’s most eminent health research organizations. With a history of more than 50 years, IHI is an independent, non-profit organization, registered in Tanzania and led by Tanzanians. IHI conducts a wide range of health-related research, including biomedical and environmental studies, trials of drugs, vaccines and diagnostics, health-systems research, and monitoring and evaluation.
The Deputy Chief Executive Director will report to the Chief Executive Director (CED). He/she will support the CED on day to day activities of running the Institute.
Main duties and responsibilities
The Deputy Chief Executive Director will be accountable and responsible for, amongst others to:
- Contribute to the strategic planning, financial management and day-to-day running of the Institute;
- Assist the CED in the preparation of the Board papers, taking minutes of Board meetings and implement the Board and its sub-committees’ directives;
- Contribute to the implementation of strategic plans, financial and administrative policies in support of Institute’s objectives;
- Anticipate and address short term and long term financial needs and cash flow management issues;
- Manage the scientific output in alignment with donor’s requirements, international scientific and ethical standards;
- Assist the CED in overseeing the strategic direction of the Institute by monitoring implementation of the scientific activities and non-scientific activities;
- Assist the CED in running of the management meetings and supervise Heads of Departments / Chief Officers at the Institute;
- Facilitate and pro-actively support grant/contract bids and represent the Institute in liaison/negotiation with external funding agencies – often in being solely responsible for the Institute’s fundraising activities;
- Approve and support the preparation of research grant applications and advising on sponsor regulations;
- Authorize the submission of research grant applications on behalf of the Institute; and
- Represent CED in meetings within and outside the office.
Qualifications and experience required
- Minimum of a Master’s degree level or its equivalent in Corporate Management/Business Administration/Public Health or other relevant fields.
- At least 7 years’ experience in a leadership position with strong team coordination.
- Knowledge and understanding of the scientific research management.
- Experience in fundraising.
- Highly competent with information technology.
- Experience in motivating and developing teams including performance management and appraisals.
- Good planner, strategic thinker, result oriented with excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
An attractive and competitive remuneration package in accordance with the grades and as may be determined by the Chief Executive Director will be given to the successful candidate.
If you believe your career objectives match this challenging role, please send your application by Tuesday 30th September 2014 at 14.00hrs attaching your CV, copies of certificates and qualifications, and three referees’ names to:
People and Change Advisory,
Pemba House, 369 Toure Drive,
P. O. Box 45, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania.
Email: advisory [dot] recruit [at] tz [dot] pwc [dot] com
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.